Debra Riordan, Clinical Ayurvedic Specialist (C.A.S.) is an ayurvedic practitioner and educator who has worked in the fields of allopathic and integrative medicine for over 25 years. She is an herbalist, nutritionist, lifestyle counselor, ayurvedic psychologist and wellness coach whose goal is to support clients to be their very best. She has been in private practice since 1997 working directly with more than two thousand clients.
Debra was on the faculty of the California College of Ayurveda for six years teaching both the academic and clinical curriculum. She also mentors and educates Ayurvedic and allied health practitioners. She welcomes invitations for writing and speaking assignments.
Integrative Medicine Positions:
- Health Practitioner and Educator and owner of Ayurveda for Balance (San Francisco & Marin), 1997-Present
- On-site health consultant at Elephant Pharmacy, San Rafael, 2005-2009
- California College of Ayurveda, Faculty member, 2001-2007
- Health in Common, interim Administrator & coordinator of ADD/ADHD conference, 1999
Integrative Medicine Training:
- California College of Ayurveda, certification 1997 (Graduate of inaugural class of the first California Ayurvedic training program)
- American Institute of Vedic Studies, certification 1997
- Mt. Madonna Center, Vasant Lad Summer Program, 1995
- Herbal and Flower Essence Apprenticeship, Catherine Abby Rich, 1994-5
- Additional Seminars with David Frawley, Robert Svoboda, Subhash Ranade, Avinash Lele, Maya Tiwari and Christopher Hobbs
Allopathic Medical Experience:
Debra retired from her medical career when she began her formal study of Ayurvedic Medicine in 1994. She appreciated the scientific and spiritual nature of this ancient system. She previously worked as a Nuclear Medicine Technologist and Clinical Research Associate at the V.A. Medical Center in San Francisco, UCSF and other hospitals. She is listed as an author on several scientific papers and acted as a consultant to medical centers and research facilities throughout the S.F. Bay Area.
Scientific and Clinical Education:
- UCSF Nuclear Medicine Technology Internship, 1979-1980
- B.S. Clinical Science, SFSU 1979
Debra's own healing journey began in the 1990's. She sought a natural method to relieve lifelong allergies and adult-onset asthma. Utilizing the nutritional and lifestyle techniques recommended for her Ayurvedic constitution, she has eliminated her dependency on inhalers, asthma medications and anti-histamines. She utilizes her education and personal experience to assist clients with their particular health issues.
She eagerly contributes her time, energy, and knowledge for the benefit of [our pharmacy] and I believe this same commitment and care transfer over into the care she provides to her patients.
I can attest to her integrity as a professional and confidently recommend her for advice consultations.